Friday, November 14, 2008

Please pack your knives and go

Why do I get giddy at the thought of a new season of Top Chef? I don't have a really good answer for you. It happens every year at some point, but I see the knife logo flash across my TV set and I just start jumping up and down uncontrollably, only to sulk five seconds later because it was just a teaser promo for an upcoming season of my favorite reality cooking show. Now that the new season has begun, I am sane once again (or not, depending how you look at it). And this time, the contestants are cooking it up right here in New York! How can this season not be brilliant?

I can't tell if this will be a good season just yet (it's only one episode in), but they already eliminated two people! How's that for a twist? An elimination during the quickfire challenge? I love it. I don't even care that I can't eat the food. Top Chef has always delivered wonderful entertainment accompanied by just the right amount of drama. The food is the main focus. It's very exciting to watch.

And while we're on the subject of just the right amount of drama in a reality series, I continue to love and root for The Amazing Race. Nothing motivates people more than "finish first and you'll win a million dollars!" There's absolutely no room for the unnecessary drama that reeks through all of those "real" whatevers. The stakes are too high for anyone to slow down for drama, which I love. This season is especially exciting for me because one of the racers is a musical theatre actor, currently starring in the Off-Broadway production of The Fantasticks. The drama within The Amazing Race is shown through the pairs' relationships and how they deal with the pressure. It's great fun. Now if only CBS didn't air the show on Sundays, making it interfere with their football schedule and very often airing my beloved reality show (a show that has won CBS six consecutive, undefeated Emmy Awards, mind you) whenever the big men in the helmets decide to call it a day. It's pretty frustrating, especially when the DVR doesn't foresee these instances. I never liked football anyway, and this is certainly not a way to get Steven on your side.

So yeah, I guess I'm a sucker for reality shows. I should clarify... reality competition television. Well, the "good ones" at least. I love seeing what people can do, pushing them to their creative limits or to their wit's end. And then after I'm satisfied with what I watch, I pretend that it all actually happened that way, that none of it was scripted, fully knowing that much of the results and editing were manipulated by the producers. But hopefully the competition aspect reduces the fakeness. Right? I don't exactly know why I'm trying to defend my guilty pleasure of reality competition shows. Am I guilty of liking them? Yes. Do I feel guilty liking them? Sometimes. Doesn't matter now because it's all out there and my secret is out! Now who wants to talk about Runway, ANTM, Survivor, or BB? Don't get me started on American Idol, though... I just can't stand that one. Ugh.

~Steven

No comments: