Friday, November 14, 2008

My thoughts you can't decode...

My first official post is dedicated to Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga. I promise that it won't monopolize this blog, but I thought I'd write about it since I finished the fourth and final book yesterday.

I first stumbled upon Twilight when my teenage sister began reading the series this past summer. I started reading in September and read through the four-book saga in roughly two months. Although Stephenie Meyer's writing style is sophomoric and just plain bad sometimes (there are so many typos throughout the series; a toddler could have done a better job editing), the characters both human and supernatural are just plain fascinating. Since Meyer makes up her own rules about vampires, this is a fresh take on the genre. Now, I have loved vampire stories, from one of my favorite TV series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to the new and erotic True Blood on HBO. Let's face it: vampires never get boring. And if that's not enough, the Twilight books have been injected with werewolves, vampires' nemeses according to Meyer.

What really draws me to the Twilight books are the various themes that are common to both the mortal and immortal. It would not be a true vampire story without passion, and there's a lot of it here. There's also the issue of control and giving into temptation, another juicy topic. But above all, there is the conscience. Meyer's characters (among them Bella, the books' teenage narrator and protagonist; Edward, her vampire lover; and Jacob, Bella's werewolf suitor) illustrate that no action is without reaction and repercussion. Blame and guilt are always on these characters' minds, and it is fascinating to see how each individual deals with it. Will they deliberately hurt the ones they love? Will they seek revenge? Will they choose to hide their true feelings as best they can? It's definitely an interesting game of chess.

Well, all of this is true about the series until you get to Breaking Dawn. Twilight is an electric jolt and a perfect introduction to the characters. New Moon is an essential, if slow, book in redefining relationships and opening up new storylines. Eclipse is a fast-paced, action-packed thrill ride from start to finish. So why not end on a high note? After all, anything that would follow these three books is bound to be disappointing. And, well, Breaking Dawn is that disappointment of a fourth book.

Yes, there are some interesting twists and turns, but ultimately, Stephenie Meyer has just created a plot with too many holes, too many unfinished stories, and too many characters yet to be fleshed out. The book introduces a new voice when Jacob (the werewolf) narrates the second of the book's three sections. However, his narration doesn't really add anything new to the story and in fact leaves many stories open-ended, never to be addressed again. Sure, it makes Jacob a more likable character after some irredeemable actions in my opinion (I've always been on Team Edward), but that's about it. What about the budding friendship/possible romance with Leah? And Seth's new power position? And where the heck are Quil and Embry, Jacob's best friends? And isn't his sister destined to be with someone he can't stand? Sadly, none of these questions are ever answered, even if they are basic issues that should be solved with Jacob as a narrator. But I guess Meyer got bored or had writer's block. Lame on you, Stephenie Meyer.

The book's conclusion with the Volturi is equally stupid. All the buildup and no final battle? With only one insignificant character dying? It made the head-honcho vampires that make up the Volturi to look like bumbling idiots. How anticlimactic. O but it doesn't matter since the series ends with a happily ever after for all. If only getting there were more interesting.

Even though the final book failed to measure up to the enthralling first three (a trilogy as far as I'm concerned), it doesn't diminish any excitement I've had for the film adaptation of Twilight. Yes, you've seen all the hype on MTV and the multiple covers on Entertainment Weekly. But none of that matters to me because the movie looks like a faithful adaptation of the first book with all the right people playing the right parts. Even its soundtrack, which premiered at #1 on the Billboard charts, is dead on. Bravo to Paramore, whose anthem "Decode" perfectly encapsulates Bella and Edward's relationship of dangerous, undeniable passion. (Paramore's other song written for the movie, "I Caught Myself," hits the mark as well.) Sure, the movie looks like it is geared towards fangirls and teenagers, but after seeing clips and interviews with the filmmakers and cast, it really looks like an honest telling of what I consider to be a legitimate vampire tale. No, I won't be one of those who is bound to scream every time Robert Pattinson is on the screen, but I probably will be on the edge of my seat. I hope Rob and Co. don't disappoint... like Breaking Dawn did.

So I do encourage you to read the Twilight saga (or at least the first three books) and to see the movie, which premieres on November 21. (Note the discrepancy on the movie poster below regarding the release date... Twilight moved up its premiere to the original release date of the next Harry Potter flick, which was pushed back to 2009.)


Now unto something totally different next time, I promise! I refuse to turn this into another Twilight blog. Until then, happy procrastinating. If you've read this post the whole way through, you've done a good job procrastinating already, and I hope you come back for more! Comment at will... and tell me what you'd like me to talk about or dish on.

~Steven

No comments: