Monday, February 23, 2009

The day after...

So I did have a last-minute Oscar prediction change that I did not post here. It was Slumdog winning for Sound Mixing, which it did. To my mistake, I decided not to jump on the Departures wagon, which many people did at the last second. So my prediction count is 17 out of 24. Eh, I've done much better before, but it is what it is.

I enjoyed the telecast of the Academy Awards with a couple of exceptions, one of those being that awful tribute to movie musicals... what were they thinking?! I did love seeing the past acting winners, but I missed the "Oscar clips" they usually show for each nominee. Otherwise, I love Hugh Jackman, I love seeing no acceptance speech cut off, I love the cohesiveness of the awards presented, I love the focus on the craft. It was a good pat-on-the-back for Hollywood and it made the general masses understand a little better what is involved in filmmaking. It was a celebration for all movies, not just those nominated. I like that.

As for the winners, I think anyone obsessed with Oscar prognostication saw no real surprises. Sure, I predicted Viola Davis to win, but Cruz was always the favorite, and she's hilarious in that movie. There were no truly undeserved wins. I don't think Slumdog deserved many (or any) of their awards, but I won't deny that it was a fairly decent movie with great direction and impressive technical aspects. I attended a party where the people who saw Slumdog said they liked The Reader better. I am one who shares that opinion. I think The Reader deserved the awards for Cinematography and especially Adapted Screenplay, both of which went to Slumdog. And I do believe WALL•E deserved many more awards (it only got the ghetto Animated Feature prize). At least Kate Winslet finally won an Oscar (!) in one of her best performances to date. Well deserved! And although I loved Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler, Sean Penn richly deserves an Oscar for his performance in Milk.

What I'm most excited about is rewatching all these movies after the fact. I can't wait to get The Reader on Blu-ray or give Slumdog a second chance or see Japan's winning movie or be inspired once again by Milk. If this wasn't a great year for movies, it was a good year at the Oscars.

Moving on...

~Steven

2 comments:

stella by starlight said...

i agree with your friends, i liked the reader more than slumdog. the reader was not only well-made, but the performances were spectacular. the same cannot be said for slumdog (well, at least for the adult actors. the kids are phenomenal.) i was SO happy that sean got recognized for milk, and i think his speech was fantastic. and of course kate. our darling kate. FINALLY!

Steven said...

Agreed on all points. Yay Kate! :)

~Steven