Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happens every year, but I'll say it once more: Christmas... already?

Now that two reality competition shows have finished their seasons (The Amazing Race and Survivor... wow, I'm a dork) and Heroes closed up another chapter (hmm... that's how it ended?), I've finally started to realize that it's the holiday season. It always surprises me each year and then it's always too late for me to get into "the spirit." O how I long for the days when I actually cared about decorations and carol singing and gift wrapping. Not that I still don't do all three of those things, but I guess now that I'm getting older I see a new perspective about the holiday season. Not a bad one, just a more careful and reflective one. And realistic... living in this world is expensive and pockets are empty.

I'm not trying to sound cynical or anything. I love this time of year. It's arguably my favorite time of year. Many more people at least try to be jollier at this time. Sure, there's a slight edge to people because they're still trying to purchase everything on their checklists, but the good intentions are usually there if you catch them while they're not shopping. I also love that I get to see family and other dearly loved ones. There's nothing like a warm embrace and a smile to get your spirits up, and there's plenty to go around at this time of year. That smile or embrace could be more of a "We did it! We got through the year!" smile or embrace, but either way it's about the celebration of being together. And then there's the music, one of my favorite things about the season. I do believe that certain Christmas standards are some of the best songs ever written. The melodies are beautiful, the lyrics are hopeful... Okay, some songs are overplayed, but it's the one time of year you can listen to them and not appear foolish. Just listen; it is positively heartwarming and cheerful.

No matter your religion or personality type, I wish you all the best at this time of year. Don't be afraid to open up your heart.

I will leave you with some favorite Christmas albums of mine for those who are still looking for the perfect holiday soundtrack:

Jewel - Joy: A Holiday Collection
A great and surprisingly traditional take on Christmas. Jewel shows she can be pretty versatile.

Jim Brickman - Peace
This Christmas album from my favorite new age pianist was Grammy nominated (how often do you see that happen?)! It's a perfect blend of instrumental and vocal tracks of holiday standards both old and new. This is definitely one to put on while you sit by the fireside or if you want to create that feeling in your hearthless apartment.

Broadway Cares - Home for the Holidays
This is a holiday CD featuring theatre personalities. Proceeds for the disc go to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. You know you've always wanted to hear Liza Minnelli and Alan Cumming's rendition of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and Daphne Rubin-Vega's "Feliz Navidad."

The Carpenters - Christmas Portrait
An oldie but a goodie. Karen Carpenter's voice has never sounded better or richer. Every track is a classic.

~Steven

No comments: